6.28.2007

HI HO...HI HO...

It's off to work I go! And yes, I'm extremely excited about it too!

I've not worked outside of the home in almost 9 yrs and lately I've been feeling...well...I couldn't really pinpoint it, but a friend of mine posted something today that hit home for me. I'll share a bit of what she shared (name withheld)...

I feel like I am bobbing in a very small dingy set adrift in a vast ocean.

Somewhere out there is a tropical paradise of happiness – I just have to point my Good Ship Lollypop in the right direction. The only problem is that I don’t have a compass, and I can’t find the Northern Star.


and...

I am not the wife, mother, friend, daughter… the PERSON I want to be. I need to step back and re-evaluate what I am and what I want.

I wasn't really sure how I was feeling but when I read what my friend wrote about herself, a little lightbulb went off in my head and I suddenly had this feeling of "OH MY GOSH...I COULD HAVE WRITTEN THIS!!"

All of these feelings have led me to think about finding something to do with my time. I was originally going to wait till school starts back in August but something came open that I really couldn't turn down.

Someone that I worked at the auction with many moons ago, has decided to open a scrapbook store. I'd heard this rumor but hadn't heard anything more since the first part of the year. But on Thursday, Debbie contacted me, out of the blue, to see if I'd be interested in teaching SB classes at her new store. I told her that I wasn't sure about the teaching but that I was thinking about going back to work part time. After a couple more conversations and a few details worked out, I'm now a part time employee of PIKTAILS Scrapook store in Hunter's Creek.

Right now, the store is open but we're still in the very early set up stages. People are free to come in and shop the stuff that she has already stocked on the shelves but the calendar and class schedules will be out very soon...and TONS more merchandise is already on order and will be coming in regularly.

For right now, my job is to work on display pages and class kits. We're working on getting the place decorated with page samples and black and white photos throughout the store. It's a work in progress, but the progress is certainly coming together nicely.

Today, I worked on the a Bo Bunny album kit to sample for a class and also a two page sample layout to display on the wall. I certainly cannot complain about scrapping all day and getting paid to do it. Eh?

Oh, I got to chat with a few customers and I had a quick lesson on the cash register too. Hopefully our EK Success order will be in tomorrow!! Ahhhhh...the smell and feel of a fresh box of scrapping goodies!

I'll post the link to the store as soon as the website is up and running!

For now...I'm headed to bed. Didn't get much sleep last night. My mind was racing with ideas and I was like a kid trying to sleep the last night before going back to school.

Till next time...good night!

2 comments:

Michelle Russell said...

That's a fabulous first day of work story, Denise! I remember that feeling. :) And it's amazing how many of us share that lost feeling...must be the 30-something blahs, huh? You seem to be well on your way to your island of happiness though. It's so good to hear you smiling!!!

Linda said...

I think most of us share in those same feelings. Some days I wake up and look around and think "what the h-ll did I get myself into?" Other days I life feels like a fantasy.