8.20.2006

Lordy Lordy...I AM FORTY!!!! (but it's a good thing)

How'd that happen? I'm 40 yrs. old now. FORTY...time flies when you're having fun. And fun, I've had. I don't feel bad about being 40...not at all. I spent a lot of time reflecting this weekend. Reflecting on all that I've done in my 40 yrs. Alot of great things...alot of not so great things. Alot of things to be proud of and even a few that make me not so proud. I've been told that I look great for 40...I feel good about myself for the most part. I could stand to lose weight...and with that, I'm sure I'd feel more confident in myself. But, I have a husband that loves me very much. Four awesome kids that also love me and that make me EXTREMELY proud. I have alot to be thankful for in my life and I want to start this next chapter of my life off by reminding myself each day of how well I have it.

Alex put together an absolutely amazing party for me for my 40th birthday. I was blessed with the presence of about 70 of my closest friends and family. Gosh, I sure have some great friends. Kris helped him by getting out the invitations, but Alex did all of the rest of the stuff on his own. He asked for opinions from me while planning it, but he did all of the planning, putting together and throwing of the party. And man...it was AWESOME!!

He rented a frozen drink machine and served up Margaritas and Pina Coladas. There was a TON of beer, wine and other beverages of choice. (and plenty left over too) He had the food brought in from Smokey Bones...ribs, chicken, pork, brisket and turkey...and sides to go with. He put together custom made music CD's just of the types of music that I like, and then transmitted it to the wireless speakers outside. He put together one top notch party, I tell ya! Everyone commented on what a great job he did too...so very deserving of a good pat on the back. And all of that, he did for ME...told you he loves me!

We had so many great folks here to help me celebrate. All the old gang from the other house...the "Mayberry" clan as we called it. It was so great to hang out with all of them again...Jerry and Susie, Al and Holly, Tony and Joy, and even Steve Thomas came. So good to see him...sure wish Denise could be here too. I still miss her alot. We had the neighbors from this house here...most of them have lived here for YEARS and hardly knew each other. I watched them sit together and chat like old friends. I even had my mom and sisters here too. Its been a long time since the 4 of us have laughed as hard as we did last night. Even with Shelli smearing icing in my face and up my nose. :D

And of course, what would the party be without my Ya-Ya's???? The scrapping group that tops all scrapping groups. We're more than a group of scrappers that get together monthly to scrapbook...we're a sisterhood. A group of friends that would certainly be there for the others in a time of need...a group of friends that share laughter, secrets and have had our own share of tears too. These girls pulled together and surprised me with a hell of a celebration of their own. They blindfolded me and when they took the blindfold off, they all had a sparkler in their hands and sang Happy Birthday to me...then presented me with an "official ya-ya birthday hat" that had been cleverly made by Joy. OMG...this hat was so cool...gaudy, but so cool. And so very very special. I will need to find a special place to display this special symbol of the friendship we all share.

Jorge came over too...he took over 150 pictures of the party. I think it was like 188 pictures, actually. Mostly group shots of the party guests...lots of great shots of people smiling and having a great time. Lots of funny shots of me...having fun...being goofy. I should put together some sort of mini album of this party. So that the memories are all there...never to be forgotten.

This morning...the morning after...no kids (they stayed overnight with a friend), no dogs (we boarded them with the vet)...Alex and I got to spend some good quality time together. Just the two of us. We slept in...or maybe I should say "I" slept in. When I got up, Alex had already cleaned up alot of the party mess and had made coffee. We sat and talked about what a great time we both had. We enjoyed coffee together...read the paper...enjoyed each other's company. Had a great day. We even took a nap this afternoon too. I sure needed it! I'm getting too old to party like that. LOL

Now, the kids are home, the house is put back together (for the most part), the dogs come home tomorrow. Time to get on with things...get back on a routine, get on with life. And even though that life is sometimes crazy busy...sometimes a little overwhelming...it's a good life. A life that I wouldn't trade for anything else.

I think I'll be happy at 40!!

3 comments:

Creative Mayhem said...

Sounds like you had a very special birthday party D! I sure wish I could have been there to help you celebrate. I KNOW your will be happy at 40 with such a wonderful family and hubby. Kudos to him for such a great party and making you so happy!

Miss Kerri said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like you had a great time. I'm sorry I missed it! :-P

Michelle Russell said...

Denise - happy birthday! I'm glad I got to read all about your party here...sounds like FUN! I'll look forward to seeing that mini-album when you get it finished! :)